We’ve all been there. It’s tough to eat healthy while you’re at work. The vending machine is always calling your name and your neighbor has a giant bowl of candy just sitting there, tempting you all day long. You spend a lot of time at work so it’s worth it to invest some time in creating some healthy eating habits in the office. Easier said than done, but entirely possible – we promise. Here’s how you can start having a healthier year at work!
- Banish the candy bowl; bring on the fruit bowl — Ignore that delicious looking candy bowl on your neighbor’s desk and bring on the fruit bowl. When you get tempted, just grab a health snack and you’re already reducing your consumption of sugary treats.
- Beware of the vending machine — Vending machines are jam packed full of sugary, salty, calorie filled goodness, but let’s leave it all there. When 3pm rolls around and you’re ready for something yummy, don’t let the vending machine be your first choice.
- Plan ahead; bring healthy snacks from home — Create the ultimate snack drawer. Yes, you can pack your lunch everyday and that’s great, but it can be the snacks that get you. Stash some mixed nuts or granola bars in your desk for when you need a quick pick-me-up. Keep some yogurts or veggies in the fridge so you don’t have dive into your coworkers cookies when you’re hungry.
- Stop eating alone at your desk — Get up from your desk! Go join your coworkers and you could greatly increase cooperative behavior and work performance at the same time. It’s a win-win. Eat your lunch and then head outside for a quick walk. You’ll have more energy to get through the rest of your day.
- Don’t forget to hydrate — Dehydration is no joke. You will get tired, anxious, and your performance will suffer. Keep a water bottle handy to keep you hydrated. Try drinking several cups a day instead of sugary drinks.
It’s too easy to be unhealthy at work, but you’ll feel a lot better if you put some time in creating some healthy habits for your office.