Colder temperatures are on their way! With the cold come a whole list of things you need to watch out for, slipping, road hazards, ice, we could go on. But you also need to be conscious of the actual temperature outside.
In some areas, the temperatures can drop to unsafe conditions for people and it’s good to know when the cold is too cold.
- When temperatures drop between 21-32 degrees, limit outdoor activities to 15-20 minutes for small children. If it drops to below 20 degree, bring the kids indoors.
- It is safe to work outside until temperatures drop below 20 degrees.
- Skin freezes in 10 minutes if the temperature is -30 degrees. As the temperature gets lower than -30 degree, the time it takes for skin to freeze decreases and the chance for hypothermia is increased.
The cold is brutal when you have a busy schedule, so how can you keep moving in intense temperatures?
- Plan to be outdoors during the warmest part of each day.
- Dress in layers – Break out the thermal underwear, turtlenecks and neck warmers!
- Keep an eye on babies in chilly temps. Frequently check their hands and face.
- Pick clothing that is water resistant and wind resistant to keep you and kids dry.