Lower Back Pain Treatment
Lower back pain is one of the most common injuries experienced. There are numerous causes and treatments; so what’s causing your pain.
Some of the most common causes for lower back pain are:
- Injury or overuse which could include muscular injuries or bone injuries to the vertebrae
- Pressure from conditions such as a herniated disc or spinal stenosis causing radiating pain usually into the buttock or down the leg.
- Osteoarthritis which is usually a natural aging process.
However there are some more uncommon causes that should be considered:
- Ankylosing spondylitis which is a form of arthritis that most often affects the spine. This is common in younger athletes.
- Bacterial infection in the bone, spinal discs, or spinal cord.
- Spinal tumors which are growths on the bones and ligaments of the spine, on the spinal cord, or on nerve roots.
- Kidney, reproductive, or bladder issues often cause referred pain to the lower back.
- Also injuries to the lower or upper extremities can cause secondary back pain. Most common are hamstrings, gluteal, ankle, and neck injuries which change body mechanics.
The best way to know what is causing your back pain is to get it checked by your physician, physical therapist, or athletic trainer.